You see, I wasn’t really studying that much.
Video: x264 (I remember around 1800kbps but with 10% Bitrate Variance), 720×480 anamorphic 16:9
Audio: Original AC3 2.0 (the DVD had ‘Original’ and ‘Stereo’, but once demuxed, I found they were both stereo, so I picked the higher bitrate one)
Subtitles: from TOMA, edited for consistency, grammar.
Chapters: direct from DVD.
Here is the Avisynth script:
# Set DAR in encoder to 9113 : 5000. The following line is for automatic signalling
global MeGUI_darx = 9113
global MeGUI_dary = 5000
crop( 32, 20, -34, -24)
ApplyRange(4061,4325,"frfun7",0.8,6.0,2.0) #purple scene noise reduce
#gap here, the rain mustn't be filtered
ApplyRange(4485,4929,"fft3dfilter",2,1.0,4) #sky and girl, noise in sky
ApplyRange(4930,5075,"Tweak",0.0,1.0,-15.0,1.0) #car with train too bright
ApplyRange(5210,5849,"fft3dfilter",1,1.0,4) #stars, mosquito noise
There was a lot of noise in the DVD9 source, probably to hide the banding. Damn, the banding was horrible, especially in dark scenes. I tried turning up the denoising filters, but it totally ruined things. In the end, I decided that part of being an old movie was to have some grain in it, so I let it be. There are also halos around the characters, but… sigh…
This is the only Lupin III movie I’ll do this for. Probably the only Hayao Miyazaki movie I’ll do this for, too (niizk has Nausicaa covered). Long live the gentleman thief spirit!